Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Creating Mr. Underhill- A Child Hobbit


The Making of a Hobbit
Recently I decided to move some of my old projects to this blog from my previous sewing blog. Here is one from last year. 

This is a rather simple hobbit costume with little sewing required that I made for my son for last years halloween and necrocomicon. 





The basics of the costume are:

  White Button up Shirt
  Vest or Jacket
  Mid Calf Length Pants
 Cape

The Shirt: The button up shirt was easily obtained at the department store while the rest of the costume took some work.

The Vest: This vest was made using a fake crushed velvet material in a bright color using McCall’s pattern 4290 view C. For the buttons I used one of my tried and true budget friendly ideas and purchased a used men’s jacket at the thrift shop for $3. I then removed 6 identical buttons; these gold buttons would have cost three times what I paid for the jacket.

The Pants: For the mid-calf pants I purchased regular length pants at the thrift store. I then cut the pant legs to the length needed and hemmed them.

The Cloak: The cloak was created using a brown cotton fabric and Simplicity Pattern 0862. The clasp on the cloak is a brooch I found, once again, at the thrift store.

Bringing all of these pieces together created a picture perfect little Hobbit and my little guy had a great time playing Mr. Underhill. He plans to wear this again at our local Ren Faire and I might just need one to go with it.










No comments:

Post a Comment