Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Sonic the Hedgehog Quilt





Last summer I made quilts for both of my nieces that reflected their personalities and individual interest. The eldest Madison is a video gaming, rock climbing, fearless young woman who loves bright colors, and Sonic the Hedgehog. She and her friends have even created their own Sonic characters, and I wanted to incorporate it into the quilt.

To start I ordered 3 iron on Sonic images off of Ebay and sketched out the design. I then went to the quilt shop once again and with the help of a friend picked out 4 amazing fabrics in bright colors, 3 yards of Moda white, and 3 yards of basic black fabric. All in 100% cotton.

Returning home I used my trusty printer to print out large letters spelling her characters name and traced them onto freezer paper and ironed it onto the bright colored fabric. Using a basic needle turn applique stitch I placed one letter on each white fabric block.

With the remaining fabric I created 2 fabric braids and framed everything with black sashing. To finish it off I tie dyed white cotton fabric in a vibrant blue dye for the backing.

The quilt was then machine quilted with a variegated thread that looked amazing! Having completed it I have to admit that the fabric braid is not my favorite pattern. It was time consuming and I prefer applique to piece quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment