Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Lego Star Wars Quilt






Like many boys his age my son LOVES Star Wars Legos. Especially the minifigs. So when I decided to make him a new quilt for his bed I knew it had to have the Lego Star Wars guys on it.

To make this I printed out a drawing of a lego minifig on the printer. A link to this picture is here: http://www.starwars.com/kids/activity/draw/f20060830/img/3.jpg

After printing the pictures in the size needed I sketched thier basic clothing and hair on the print outs and labeled each area with the corresponding color.

Now that I had a pattern all I needed was fabric. Of course that was the fun part! In the end I purchased over 20 fat quarters in varying colors. As well as the red border fabric, and the lego looking block fabric.

With the patterns and fabrics ready I used a basic hand applique technique to create the individual character block. Since I had only taken one applique class and completed one project prior to this my technique wasn't perfect. But I doubt my kid even notices.

Once the quilt top was completed my great friend Pam helped me use her long arm quilting machine to complete the star patterned quilting.














No comments:

Post a Comment